Everyone who reads popular fiction and watches TV knows what a cliff hanger is. It's literally cutting away from the story as the hero hangs from a cliff. The reader is hooked into reading on, fast, to find out what happens. Every genre uses the cliff hanger, so don't think it's just a pulp fiction technique either. Some are just more subtle about it than others.
But can the cliff hanger be used for social media posts? I suggest yes. In fact I recommend it as a way to keep people involved and coming back.
So how can you use it? Well, it will take a little thought, but with a dash of openness I am sure you can come up with some real cliff hangers about what you do. For instance try talking about:
1. The uncertainty about how many chocolate cakes will sell every day, when you need to sell 10 a day to do well.
2. The uncertainty about the features of a new product.
3. The uncertainty about your annual results.
4. The uncertainty about how many people will come to your exhibition.
5. The uncertainty about how a performer will perform at your club next Saturday.
6. Are you going to sell five million or ten million copies of your new book?
7. Are you going to become number 1 in your industry, at last?
With a little ingenuity I am sure you can come up with some real uncertainties, which aren't about any lack of confidence, but are playful, and which are honest too. Good luck and let me know if you have managed to create any.
You may not want to literally hang from a cliff, but a little uncertainty is good in life. For instance, what will this blog cover next? I hope you come back to find out.