Thursday, November 15, 2012
Hand selling with social media
I believe we are in a new age of hand selling or screen selling (screlling?). I have heard it said that one of the main benefits of meeting a good sales person is that you can have items recommended to you. You can also get to see their faces.
But social media allows you to meet and greet individual buyers and answer their questions from all over the world. I get about 2000 hits a day from many countries.
The main benefits of screlling are IMO:
* You can meet people from all over the world and communicate with them. Google Translate means you can even talk to people in many languages.
* You can engage long term with people, answering different questions over time and building up relationships.
* You can keep a track of people's names or identities so you can tell them when your new product or service comes out.
* You don't have to waste time and money travelling around and you won't get wet if it's raining.
The downsides are:
* You mightn't make make strong connections with people, as you don't get to meet people personally. However I believe it takes more than one physical meeting to make friends with people. Multiple meetings and shared interests are just the start. And long term social media friendships can be meaningful too.
* You don't get to see the cool sunsets from a different town.
And that's it, is it?
Ok, here's your challenge. Can you tell me what other downsides there are to not meeting customers for smaller value items? Aside from missing the smell of the fish, that is!
Thanks! I hope you enjoy these posts and I hope you can tell me about other downsides I may have missed.